These round crisp plantains are a traditional dish and snack. They are a favorite among everyone and especially children, who can have fun flattening the tostones while they are warm with the palms of their hands before eating them. Tostones are a favorite side dish and they go with everything! Great as appetizers and served with Tonita’s spicy or mild Cuban Sauce.
1 green plantain peeled and cut into 1-inch diagonal slices
grapeseed oil or avocado oil
sea salt or onion salt to taste
16 oz Tonita’s Sweet Cuban Vine Sauce, spicy or mild
- Fill an iron skillet about a third full with oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced plantains and fry for 2- 3 minutes on each side until light brown. Remove the plantain with a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels.
- When the plantain slices are slightly cooled fold a brown paper bag in half or use a double paper towel on top of them and flatten to about 1/8-inch-thick with the palm/heel of your hand.
- Several minutes before you plan to serve the tostones, reheat the skillet and return the plantains to the skillet and fry again for 3- 4 minutes or golden brown. Remove and let drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with onion salt to taste and serve warm. Keep in warm oven at200°F
until ready to serve. You may also oven fry for a healthier version. Just coat a long cookie sheet with oil and repeat the same steps.
- Serve tostones with Tonita’s Sweet Cuban Vine Sauce.
- You may also oven fry for a healthier version. Just coat a long cookie sheet with oil and repeat the same steps for preparation.